These Are the 20 Biggest Mega Millions and Powerball Jackpots Ever—As Both Prizes Soar
The Mega Millions and Powerball jackpots have grown so much that they are now in the top 10 jackpots of each lottery.
The Powerball jackpot is an estimated $550 million, or $411.4 million cash value, for the January 13 draw, while the Mega Millions jackpot on Friday, January 15, is an estimated $750 million, or $550.6 million in cash.
This makes the Powerball jackpot the ninth highest Powerball prize on offer in history. The Mega Millions jackpot is the second-highest Mega Millions grand prize ever.
The largest Mega Millions jackpot is $1.537 billion, which is the world record for the largest lottery prize won on a single ticket. The largest lottery prize ever is Powerball’s $1.586 billion, which was won by three tickets.
If the Mega Millions jackpot is not won on Friday, it may become the third-largest lottery prize in American history, overtaking Powerball jackpots of $768.4 million and $758.7 million.
Top 10 Mega Millions Jackpots
- $1.537 billion won on October 23, 2018, by one player in South Carolina.
- $750 million is the estimated grand prize for the draw on January 15.
- $656 million won on March 30, 2012, by three players from Illinois, Kansas and Maryland.
- $648 million won on December 17, 2013, by two players in California and Georgia.
- $543 million won on July 24, 2018, by one player in California.
- $536 million won on July 8, 2018, by one player in Indiana.
- $533 million won on March 30, 2018, by one player in New Jersey.
- $522 million won on June 7, 2019, by one player in California.
- $451 million won on January 5, 2018, by one player in Florida.
- $437 million won on January 1, 2019, by one player in New York.
The Mega Millions jackpot was last won on September 15, 2020, by a player in Wisconsin, who won $120 million. The grand prize was won five times last year, with Arizona and Wisconsin winning their first jackpots.
The largest Mega Millions jackpot of 2020 was won in Arizona on June 9, when a player won $414 million.
Top 10 Powerball Jackpots
- $1.586 billion won on January 13, 2016, by three players in California, Florida, and Tennessee.
- $768.4 million won on March 27, 2019, by one player in Wisconsin.
- $758.7 million won on August 23, 2017, by one player in Massachusetts.
- $687.8 million won on October 27, 2018, by two players in Iowa and New York.
- $590.5 million won on May 18, 2013, by one player in Florida.
- $587.5 million won on November 28, 2012, by two players in Arizona and Missouri.
- $564.1 million won on February 11, 2015, by three players in North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Texas.
- $559.7 million won on January 6, 2018, by one player in New Hampshire.
- $550 million is the estimated jackpot for the draw on January 13.
- $487 million won on July 30, 2016, by one player in New Hampshire.
The Powerball jackpot was last won on September 16, 2020, when a New York player won $94.8 million.
There were seven jackpot-winning tickets in the Powerball lottery in 2020. On January 29, 2020, a Florida player won the largest jackpot of the year, winning $396.9 million.
- Powerball, Mega Million Jackpots Are at Combined Levels Rarely Seen
- 9 Mega Millions Players Came So Close, But No Winners Means $750 Million
- Mega Millions Numbers For 01/12/21, Tuesday Jackpot was $625 Million
In a statement released last week Gordon Medenica, Mega Millions lead director and Maryland lottery and gaming director, said: “We want our players to have fun, especially when there are two big rolling jackpots to start off the new year.
“While we always encourage responsible play, it’s even more important during these trying times to wear a mask and maintain social distancing when purchasing your tickets.”
May Scheve Reardon, chair of the Powerball Product Group and executive director of the Missouri Lottery, said: “It’s been a couple of years since the games have simultaneously offered jackpots this large, and our players are here for it.”The Powerball draw on Wednesday and the Mega Millions draw on Friday are offering record-high jackpot prizes. ]]>